Wednesday, August 27, 2008

Chiggers

I am covered with chigger bites. Covered! DH and I have been out scouting property and trying to find the perfect spot on which to build our next dream house and it was a very, very grave mistake walking a property last Friday with NO bug spray. DH has a few bites on his feet and ankles. [We both had jeans and ankle socks on with sneakers.] I got absolutely attacked. I have bites on my ankles, my legs [53 bites on my right leg alone that I counted in the car yesterday!], my butt, my back, my neck, my chest... There is NOT a portion of me that the chiggers didn't get. I look like I have some sort of disease. It is not pretty.

Today I must finish getting our shipment ready to go to the airport for tomorrow. We will go to the beach for the upcoming long weekend and then we head home. Visiting is always fun. Spending time with family and friends is great. But it will be nice to be home in our own place and not living out of a suitcase, too!

8 comments:

  1. One year we were in Wyoming and a young girl from Great Briton was sitting in the grass. I told her that if she hadn't sprayed she should not sit in the grass in shorts. "You cheeky Americans think you can fool us don't you?" I walked away. A little while later in one of those famous toilets with the wall open at the top I heard the girl say, "Mum, me bum itches." Without any time to think, I said, "Chiggers" and walked away. MUD

    ReplyDelete
  2. gosh the time has flown by hasn't it....enjoy the rest of your stay....Gill

    ReplyDelete
  3. I dislike chiggers even more than mosquitos. I remember getting bitten when I was young. I doused myself in Caladryl in the morning before school but by 5th hour the effects wore off. . . I might as well have gone home, I certainly didn't learn anything after fighting the impulse to scratch (and losing badly!).

    ReplyDelete
  4. Mud - Have never ever in my entire life had contact with chiggers. We were totally, totally covered and believe me we were not rolling in the grass! Those little blood suckers are vicious creatures!!! Vicious, I tell you. And yes, "me bum" itches!

    Gill - Time went by much, much too quickly. Can't believe we leave in a few days. We JUST GOT HERE!!! But at the same time, it will be good to get home.

    Chris - I would happily trade all of these nasty chigger bites for mosquito bites. Happily... I am still fighting the urge - and not always winning, I might add - to scratch. DH got a "few" bites - none of them above his knees. Me? You cannot imagine when I say I am covered with them how many I actually have. The ONLY place I didn't get bit is from my elbows to my hands. Everywhere else is covered with nasty red puffy welts. [And, yes, as I commented to Mud - even "me bum!" TMI. TMI.]

    ReplyDelete
  5. Enjoy the beach! Sorry about the chigger bites.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Last time i realized chiggers were on me but had not het settled-in, i burned all the hair off my legs with lighters. Burns I can endure.

    ReplyDelete
  7. In a messed up sort of way, I wouldn't mind some chigger bites right about now. I'd even cope with some poison ivy. I sure am missin' home...

    ReplyDelete
  8. Kathleen - We enjoyed the beach. We enjoyed the beach. Did I say we enjoyed the beach?!? It was FABULOUS!!!

    Vermindust - Not quite ready to burn the hairs on my legs. Oh. Wait. Have no hair on my legs most of the time. Except after the chiggers got me. Didn't shave for four days. Then shaved. Big. Big. BIG mistake! You are right. Burns would have been better.

    L_O - Huge difference between poison ivy or poison oak and chigger bites. Would have been thrilled - THRILLED - I tell you - to have one of those. Chigger bites? No. Never, ever. Again! Scared for life. Not kidding. Scared!

    ReplyDelete

 
Site Meter