Monday, August 18, 2008

I Shot the Deer...

...with my camera, of course! I got shots of the entire family - all five of them - yesterday morning. I swear the babies have grown just in the ten days I've been here. They still have their spots, though, and you can tell they are still babies. I got quite a few pictures of the young male - even his little antlers have grown an inch since I've been here - there were little nubs - and now they are much more pronounced. The Momma deer is mean! She wants all of the food that is put down for herself, and she does not hesitate to clock one of the others - even one of the babies - in the head with her front hoof - if someone else dares to get too close to the food - so now I spread the food out in three different places. I heard her "clock" the young male a few days ago - watched it, as well - but it was the sound that made the impact - BONK! You just know that was a headache. Poor little guy... I am not so sure that feeding the deer is a good thing. Walmart sells big 40 pound bags of "deer corn" for $7.67 - so I bought 120 pounds of it. My Mom's neighbor was feeding them - and she has gone to visit a friend for a week - so I took over.

The deer are NOT tame - but when I walk down the little hill to the feeding spot shaking the corn - they don't go far, either. I want them to be very timid and scared of people. Be very, very afraid of people, little deer - especially men - men that are carrying what look like big long sticks. Those are not sticks! They are guns. And the deer are going to end up in someone's freezer as meat, I just know it. And when I think about that, all I can think of is the scene from "My Cousin Vinny," where Vinny asks Lisa about the pants he is wearing to go hunting and she says, "
Imagine you're a deer. You're prancing along. You get thirsty. You spot a little brook. You put your little deer lips down to the cool, clear water - BAM. A fuckin' bullet rips off part of your head. Your brains are lying on the ground in little bloody pieces. Now I ask ya, would you give a fuck what kind of pants the son-of-a-bitch who shot you was wearing?" [What a great movie!]

There is a small gray fox roaming the woods in the back of my Mom's house as well. Mom told us about it - and then I saw it a few days later. Yesterday, I raced inside to get my camera to get pictures when it was out back and by the time I got outside again, it had raced off into the woods. The camera is out in the screen porch, now, at the ready, so I can have it right at my fingertips to "shoot the fox" when it next appears - and I'll post all my "wild life" pictures when I get home in a couple of weeks.

6 comments:

  1. Found your blog about a month ago and have enjoyed reading.

    We feed the deer behind our house. More and more houses around us all the time but the deer still come in for their corn. We put our bird feeders next to the house at night otherwise the deer tongue all the food out of it them. We haven't "seen" them since winter when snow was on the ground. Their large dark bodies really stood out against the whtie background. Sometimes, though, a few will come before sunset. The most we've seen at one time has been five. We've only seen a buck once and he was young.

    Glad you're enjoying your stateside holiday.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Glad you've enjoyed it, Warrier Knitter!

    We've got SEVEN deer now - there is the family of five - and what I thought was the young fawn with new nubs where his antlers will be - and the older "young" buck with partial antlers - they are a different family. Tried to get photos of all SEVEN earlier but it was too dark. I'm very much enjoying watching the wildlife - and enjoying my stateside holiday - which will be over much, much too quickly, I'm afraid.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Saw this on Fox's website today & thought about you.

    http://www.foxnews.com/story/0,2933,408261,00.html

    ReplyDelete
  4. Sabra, since my visit to your mom in April I check in on your blog from time to time. I just read that you're in NC--or maybe not, now. Anyway, I've enjoyed the commentary on life in the sandbox. My parents were there for a year about 1980-81; don't think my mother ever left their compound. When do you think you'll be leaving Saudi for NC?
    www.nanadave.com

    ReplyDelete
  5. i actually saw the same article posted above and thought of you too. just make sure you note the last lines. they made me giggle.

    "I want a Ferrari, a pink one. I love the roar it makes."

    -a long time reader, but first time poster

    ReplyDelete
  6. Warrior - The same article made the local paper here - you don't know how many people said, "Women are going to be driving soon in Saudi." My response was, "not while we are there." I just don't see it happening.

    Still at Mom's and had no idea your parents were where we are, too, Nana!?! We will be there at least another 4 1/2 years.

    Anonymous - It would not surprise me at all if Ferrari accommodates her and gives one a pretty pink paint job!

    ReplyDelete

 
Site Meter