Tuesday, November 04, 2008

Lashes and Beatings... And, Another Fire!

An unmarried couple has been spared lashes for being in the state of "khulwa," or "khilwa." [Being alone together - in public - in the state of seclusion.]

Almost comical. No doubt the husband deserved his beating... The wife said, "I went on beating him because he did not resist. I don't know what I was doing." The article doesn't say how long the couple has been married or how much pent-up anger and frustration the woman had, but it had to be pretty substantial if she beat her husband severely enough to hospitalize him!

Is is just a coincidence that there have been SEVEN fires at ONLY girls' schools since the school year began? Sure it is. Um-hmm. Sure it is...

2 comments:

  1. I must say that when I want to remind myself how lucky I am to live in a civilized country I read your blog. I don't know how you can stand it! I wouldn't: neither for love nor money! ...
    I used to read a blog called the Saudi Stepford wife... sudenly silent even after a promise to continue. Considering your comments and those of many others I wonder how has she been silenced... dead? cut her hand? her tongue?.. the mind reels in horror. Hope she is ok.
    I really admire your cheer on the face of that hell. All the best to you! and thanks for the warning!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Interesting that you "admire my cheer" when just a couple of days ago someone said that I was so bitter and that all my posts were bitter... And that same person said, "Why do you live there if you feel the way you do?" I cannot answer that directly, but the answer is in the "About me" section if one reads between the lines.

    [I used to read Saudi Stepford Wife occasionally, too, but she hasn't posted since May? She said she'd be back.]

    ReplyDelete

 
Site Meter