Thursday, July 17, 2008

Abeya "Prison"

This has been in the news... I didn't pay a whole lot of attention to it. I wear my abeya when I leave our compound to do occasional grocery shopping - which is about the ONLY shopping I do here [I had to wear it a week or two ago when I went downtown to try to get paint samples]. I don't consider it a "prison," but I certainly do not have a high regard for it, either, and refer to it as "the black garbage bag." It is a ridiculous article of clothing which women here are forced to wear due to constraints imposed upon them by a society of control seeking men whose lustful ogling demonstrably attests to their complete and utter lack of any self-restraint whatsoever.

Yesterday afternoon DH's friend Lee came over. He, along with three other buddies, had been to the "family" pool on our compound [we have a men only pool, a women only pool and a family pool where both men and women can go]. Lee said that there was a young Western girl there, sunbathing in her little Billabong bikini - which, by the way, is supposedly NOT allowed at the family pool - only at the women's pool, when a "local" middle-aged man came out of the men's changing room and couldn't keep his "lustful ogling" eyes to himself as he was walking and he wound up heels over head when his shins collided with a stationary bench. Lee said it was all he and his companions could do to keep from laughing hysterically at the spectacle the man created for himself - and the guy wasn't injured - just some minor scrapes from his bodily contact with the cement. Bet his pride was lowered a notch or two, and if it wasn't, it should have been. The moral, of course, is that he should have been keeping his eyes to himself and didn't; the sight of a young girl NOT draped in a hideous black garbage bag was just too much for him...

6 comments:

  1. Nice blog, just stumbled across it, keep up the good work!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Why thank you, Jeddahfood. And, please visit again!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Interesting blog!

    It seems like u don't like the place at all. I hope u don't me asking, if u hate the place so much... y r u still there?

    ReplyDelete
  4. I have never said I hate this place, Dan. Hate is such a strong word. And I am still here because DH's job is here, and the way things look in the States it is highly unlikely he'd find a job there, right now. I can likely make it the full ten years - barring unforeseen circumstances - after that, if DH wants to continue to work here he is going to have to commute from the States.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Sounds like an epic fail, happens all of the time with us in west wales,

    http://www.sanzsurfwear.co.uk/

    ReplyDelete
  6. I can easily agree with that, I am not a fan of islamic clothing on the grounds that it's adherants like to portray all men as evil minded sex obsessed rapists. The internet has proved that the best way to remove inappropriate sexual desires within mixed groups of men and women (such as when visiting the beach or surfing etc) is to saturate the world with nudity. When you can see it on demand and everywhere where's the thrill.

    ReplyDelete

 
Site Meter