Friday, July 18, 2008

Women Should Stay Home

So say a group of Yemeni clerics, which they claim will "protect society from vice and sexual chaos." Yemen is only a short distance away. Get out the Atlas; it borders half of Saudi Arabia - to the south on the west side. The clerics warn "against opening the door for women, who will get out of their houses and mix with men." Good gosh, can't have that now! Women, if they are allowed out of their houses to mix with men "in places of work will lead to non-marital relations ... loss of decency, adultery and illegal children."

Is this the fault of the women? No. I think not. It, does, however, speak volumes about the men, though.

A women's union in Yemen has "slammed" the religious decree in a strongly worded statement accusing the clerics of defaming women. Ya, think?

2 comments:

  1. Isn't it funny how powerful women are.......and how weak men are, according the Yemeni Clerics that is.

    Gill from Canada

    I am sitting here shaking my head.

    ReplyDelete
  2. You hit the nail on the head, Gill! I just read and article - and I wish I could have found it to link to when I wrote this post - had to do with so many women in Egypt getting harassed by men who say the women deserve it because they were wearing tight pants or something equally as inane.

    ReplyDelete

 
Site Meter