Sunday, July 06, 2008

Locally...

I've said it before, and I'll say it again... This country could do a whole lot to prevent vehicle accidents and deaths if it just got serious about traffic patrol. Stop the men speeding - the "locals," that is, and not just the ex-pats - stop the men running red lights and stop signs, stop the men who do the three or four lane "Saudi swing," and give them all tickets with fines. Assign points to each violation and after so many points take the men's licenses away or throw them in jail. Quit allowing the men here to play "kiss kiss kiss" or "I have wasta" and the amount of revenue that would be generated would be astounding. Yes, it is, indeed, the men's fault - women don't drive, here. But more importantly the roads would become much, much safer. There is just no reason to read daily reports in the newspaper about vehicular deaths when many of them could be prevented.

Just sad. Was it really necessary to include a picture? No, I think not. I know it is impossible to keep a seven year old child in sight at all times but perhaps if the parents would have been watching him a little more closely...

Drugs really are getting to be an issue, here. I guess the "Welcome to Saudi Arabia - We Execute Drug Smugglers" sign doesn't seem to be much of a deterrent anymore. Go ahead and play "guess the nationality," because if it wasn't "locals" involved, the nationalities of everyone arrested would be reported.

This is a perfect example of "guess the nationality." You won't have to, because the nationality of everyone involved is stated.

2 comments:

  1. Heartbreaking about that little boy. What I don't understand is the need to show something like that. How devestating. When I first came over here, I was mortified at the stuff they show on tv. I know things happen, but everyone is so desensitized to that stuff. It really bothered me to see blown up bodies on TV. Ugh.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Desensitized is right, L_Oman. But I am still of the opinion that there is just NO good reason the picture had to accompany the article. It is even bigger in the actual paper. Just wrong. As if the parents aren't going through enough right now...

    ReplyDelete

 
Site Meter