Saturday, March 28, 2009

I Knew This

...but didn't want to admit it. Lobsters and crabs feel pain. Well, duh! Of course they do. I've seen "Deadliest Catch," and "Dirty Jobs." Very much aware of how crabs are treated, thank you very much. Not pretty. In my entire life I think I have only cooked lobster one time. There is no way, at this point, I could put a living creature in a huge pot of boiling water. Now, I am going to have to rethink my crab habit. Probably one of my favorite foods.

I don't eat red meat, I don't eat anything with feathers [no poultry], I will eat a little pork here and there - selectively - I just can't think about it being anything other than nice, neat, clean little styrofoam packages if I am going to eat it. Poor little Wilbur... I eat very little fish [mostly I just don't like it - and then there is the issue of sea lice in farmed fish - and fish that - oh my gosh - can't even be called fish!].

Looks as though I will be living on cheese bread and chocolate for the rest of my life.

4 comments:

  1. Uh, point of order about going veggie (or worse, "Vegan") -

    In a way, it may be that plants "feel pain." And "scream." For example, when trees are under threat from parasites, they will increase production of certain substances to kill off the invaders, thus "pain." And these, and some other, chemicals are leaked at the roots, thus"scream." Nearby trees, detecting an increase, step up their production as well.

    This may be true of other plants as well.

    - - - -
    When I first heard of PETA back in the Sixties, I agreed with what they were doing: a few laboratories kept their animals in truly atrocious conditions, quite unecessarily and possibly even to the extent of invalidating associated studies. Alas, as too often happens, the screamers with fingers firmly planted in ears took over from the more sane founders and I am fairly rabidly anti-PETA now and VERY rabidly opposed to the likes of their subsets like A.L.F.

    Similarly, the more vocal vegetarians have never satisfactorily answered me when I ask what happens to domestic farm animals if everyone stops eating meat. Or more specifically to me, since I am allergic (not life-threatening, but still) to greens. I suppose I could use pills to get required stuff (just as vegetarians use "supplements" to get stuff like B12)...

    Yeah, I've never skinned and butchered an animal and would not want to. Nor have I ever walked and sat on naked steel beams to rivet them at thirty stories up, or wanted to.

    ReplyDelete
  2. It has been my choice to give up poultry and red meat. Poultry because I have been very ill several times - very low threshold to food poisoning - you get sick enough eating the same thing often enough - you'll stop eating it. Red meat? Just do not like the taste or texture any more. Nothing appealing about it. Steak is very expensive here - decided that if I wasn't enjoying eating it, there was no point in buying it for myself. DH will never give up red meat or poultry...

    Don't make me think about the poor heads of lettuce, John A! Having a hard enough time with crab - which, like I said, is one of my all-time most favorite foods.

    Not going vegan - not to worry there. And don't even get me started on the PETA loons.

    ReplyDelete
  3. okay I'll join you on the chocolate diet, as long as it's only milk chocolate, I get migraines with dark chocolate!!

    Gill in Canada

    ReplyDelete
  4. Pretty soon it won't even be safe to eat that, Gill. We'll hear about some cocoa bear on the brink of being extinct all because of us humans...

    ReplyDelete

 
Site Meter