Saturday, October 17, 2009

Stupid Question of the Day

Posted at Doupleplusundead, a couple of days ago:

"Is it legal for an employer to ask who someone voted for in the last presidential election, and make a decision based on that? I wouldn't write off a liberal just for being liberal, but having voted for [o]bama shows such an utter lack of judgment and foresight that I don't think hiring someone who voted for him would be choosing someone with good long-term planning skills."

I'm pretty sure an interviewer asking someone he or she was interviewing who they voted for is not allowed. I'd be willing to bet there is a law about not being able to do so, somewhere. You know. Like it is against the law to ask someone how old they are. [Not over here, by the way. Many of the help-wanted ads actually state that a candidate must be between 26 and 40 years old and even state what ethnicity is allowed to apply. I digress.]

Regardless, the poster, Alice H., makes an excellent point that hiring someone who voted for the jeja shows "an utter lack of judgment..." The comments pretty much answer the question with regard to whether or not you are allowed to ask someone who they voted for. No. But that doesn't mean that you couldn't figure it out in some other manner. This comment answers the question best: "If the job involves, you know, actual work, I doubt you'd get many true [o]bama supporters applying for it. Just saying." Bingo. They all want free money. Free housing. And free health care. Along with the free groceries we give them by way of food stamps or whatever other gub'mint program they are already mooching from.

It may not be legal to ask. Regardless of how prudent it is. I think it pretty much goes without saying that if I was in charge of hiring someone and I knew they voted for the jeja - that person would not get the job...

5 comments:

  1. All due respect, but that's really unfair. I voted for Obama, and I've been working, and paying taxes since I was 14. So have most of the other people I know who voted for Obama.

    I have never been on welfare, but I really would have loved it if the state, (to whom I have always contributed 20 TO 33% of my earnings) had helped me out with paying off a few life and death medical bills, instead of leaving me crippled by debt and with a wrecked credit history.

    Thank god, I didn't have cancer or get pregnant with a sick child. I paid off the debts, moved overseas, and married a fantastic, sane and kind guy. Not everyone is so lucky, and not everyone has the oppertunities, international background, or education I was blessed with.

    I am 30, female, and have worked full time (sometimes working 3 jobs at once) since I was 14. I have always payed taxes, and donated roughly 10% of my income to animal and child related charity. I have an IQ of 148, solid moral values, cannot spell to save my life, and these days am COO for a multimillion rial company. As a Taxpayer, I'm delighted to offer others the support I wish had been available to me in my time of need.

    I really wish we could discuss the numbers and facts instead of opposing something just beacuse we hate the guy who backs it. It's so childish.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Good day, Ms Stilleto, allow me to introduce myself. My name is Wile E. Coyote: Genius. I am not selling anything nor am i working my way through college. So let's get down to cases: you are a taxpayer, and i am going to enslave you to support ACORN. Now don't try to get away. I am more well connected, more cunning, faster and larger than you are AND i'm a Genius while you could hardly pass the entrance examinations to kindergarten. So I'll give you the customary two minutes to fill out the extended 1040 documentation and say your prayes. ... Why do these working class people always want to do it the hard way? It's so childish.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Vermindust,

    I said nothing like that. I just think the broad generalisation of Obama supporters as people who don't want to work is inaccurate. I, and the hundreds of other people I know who voted for Obama are nothing like what I think you and Sabra would like to belive. We do not all want free money, free housing, or free medical care. We are hardworking Americans too.

    I would really like to see insightful commentary, backed by numbers, instead of dummy spitting and hateful assumptions.

    Sabra, you are a really sharp woman, and I'd like to see your political commentary raised to the level of your saudi social commentary.

    And hey, it's your blog, and you can do whatever you want here. Thanks for publishing my comment.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Suburban - From now on, I'll try to stick to numbers and facts. No promise, there, though. It will be almost impossible for me not to throw in the occasional post of say - all the people in Detroit - who showed up for "free money," even though it wasn't free money that was being offered. Those were Obama voters - per the audio - in a post I did last week. There you go. Fact.

    As far as vermindust goes - it is my opinion that his snark was directed at me, "Ms Stiletto," not you. I expect snark and comments like his from him - and I enjoy a good laugh over most of his comments. I'd be disappointed if I didn't get comments from him like the one, above. His wit is quick and spot on. I have often told him that he NEEDS his OWN blog so that he can share his observations with the rest of the world! Just my opinion.

    I appreciate your compliments, Suburban, and your comments. Just because I do not agree with you doesn't mean I am not going to post your comments. You, too, are entitled to an opinion and I am more than willing to post opinions that do not reflect my own, provided they are polite and on-point - as your own comments here, were.

    Unfortunately my hatred for the man and everything he espouses is going to prevent me from not posting on him at all. Sometimes I just get it in me that I have to. This blog isn't really about politics as much as it is about my life here and my surroundings. There are plenty of other bloggers out there that do politics much, much better than I will ever be able to.

    Hopefully, over the next coming months and years - until 2012 - you will see the light, Suburban, and realize you might have made a mistake by pulling the lever for him instead of the other man that was running [not that he would be much of an improvement - you'll not get any argument about that from me]. If and when you make that decision - and who is to say - you might not - you can know for a fact that you wouldn't be the only person out there with a bit of buyer's remorse...

    ReplyDelete
  5. I, too, love vermindust. Keep it coming!

    ReplyDelete

 
Site Meter