Thursday, January 22, 2009

Bold and Beautiful in Black

Dayum, Ladies! I think you are missing the entire point of why it is that in this culture you are required to wear an abaya...

The young woman at the post office on Wednesday morning was "hot!" She was a knockout. There is no man in his right mind that wouldn't have done a double take - and a third, even - to take in such comeliness. Along with a smokin' hot body she had an incredibly pretty face. Honestly, I was a little shocked at her appearance - not shocked that someone could look like that - but shocked that she did look like that. A sight not often observed in this part of the world where every single woman wears black in a most remarkably unshapely manner. And man-oh-man did I feel frumpy in my leggings, oversize sweatshirt and sneakers. She was the prefect example of "drop dead gorgeous." Very, very pretty face with the dark eyes, perfectly and heavily outlined in kohl. Puffy, pouty lips wearing dark burgandy - brown lip gloss. Perfect white teeth. Flawless olive skin. Nails manicured and polished. And a body that would attract men like the Pied Piper attracted rats. How could I tell, you wonder? Her abaya was that tight and actually had some quite a bit of shape to it - as opposed to the ones that the rest of us are wearing that have no shape whatsoever. That's what caught my attention first - her figure. Yes. I could see the entire outline of her figure - the top half - from her waist up - as she stood behind the counter at the post office. And it was a very, very nice figure. She could give Pam Anderson a run for her money, figure-wise. What I want to know is where did you get that abaya. Plain black, and some sort of polyester knit - had to be - in order to hug her body like that. [Oh, and by the way, I absolutely hate you for that teeny, tiny little waist! You, my dear, NEED a hot fudge sunade, a plate of chocolate chip cookies, a few brownies and a couple pieces of cheesecake!!! That'll take care of that teeny tiny little waist of your.] She had a soft voice and moved gracefully. Does your husband know what you were wearing? And he let you go out of the house like that?!?

I have no idea if she was married or not. I did notice her hands as she clicked a few keys - oh, so delicately - on her computer to check to see if I had a package, but I didn't pay enough attention to see if she had a wedding ring on. I was too busy looking at the "rest" of her to notice. Her hair was completely covered and she wasn't showing any "skin" but for her hands - her face was unveiled though so you could admire her beauty [she really, really was pretty], but it is how she was wearing her abaya - skin tight - that really got my attention. I could be really snarky and say she was rude or something - but she wasn't. She smiled when she told me that my package wasn't there, "No. Not today." And, again when she said "You're welcome." Hate. Her. In the envious way. [She'll have kids someday and that perfect figure will be ruined. Ha! That teeny tiny little waist will be a distant memory, those heaving breasts will need underwire to keep them in place or they'll be like matching saddlebags on her hips. Oh, and those slim hips will balloon out to be twice the width. I recommend you have six or seven children. And do yourself a favor. You're also going to need to develop a "real" voice or your kids are never going to listen to you.]

Yesterday morning as I was driving home I saw two young ladies walking toward the bus that takes shoppers to the malls and downtown and although I didn't get nearly the look at either of them as I did the young woman working at the post office the day before, I was rather caught off guard by their "lack" of modesty - more one, than the other. The two had their obligatory abayas on - but they were open from the ground almost all the way up. Clasped over their chests and at the neck. Both dressed to the nines underneath the yards of flowing in the wind black fabric. Like I said, one, more so than the other. And, the one I took notice of? She had stovepipe jeans on that were so tight they looked like leggings - with ankle height, stiletto heeled black boots. Her scarf was loosely covering her head - showing only her hairline but not the rest of what was underneath it. I wasn't close enough to see the detail of their faces - just what they were wearing - and that their abayas were NOT covering them. According to a columnist who wrote an article last week - that I did a post on - the newest way to stylishly wear an abaya is to let it be open part-way up and have it drape on the ground behind you. These two were perfect examples of that "new style." Oh, and by the way, both of you need to eat a little something, too!

By all means, the three of you - post office Girl, and mall Girls, come by my house. I will teach you what you need to eat to eliminate those thin thighs, small hips, and teeny, tiny little waists. I can have you looking more than curvy and voluptuous in no time.

9 comments:

  1. I have to say I smell trouble with that..........they'll be thrown in jail and whipped, if they look like that!!!!

    By the way the chicken dish will freeze well.

    I also made chicken fried rice with the leftovers and they were yummy as well.

    Gill

    ReplyDelete
  2. To me, the Abaya is a symbol of oppression. It is a slap in the face of any woman who is forced to wear one.

    I am happy we do not treat our women this way.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I agree, Gill. "Trouble," indeed...

    DH will luv the chicken dish. I rarely - once, twice a year, maybe - make chicken for him. The Kids? Yes. But not DH.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Won't be long, Steve, the way things are going, before women in the States will be required to wear the same "symbol of oppression."

    ReplyDelete
  5. I often wonder how it will start - will they come into a series of US towns like the Taliban do in Afghanistan/Pakistan and just make the announcement that everybody has to wear the veil and if you don't you'll pay, kind of a thing? Some of the braver women blow them off and so they just pop a few every couple of days until the women fall in line?

    Or will it be a decree from the Ayatollah after they declare the US the Caliphate following some kind of weapon of mass destruction attack?

    I wonder what is happening to UK kafir women in neighborhoods that have become predominantly Muslim? I seem to remember an increased number of rapes and attacks on kafir women by Muslim men being reported in cities like Malmo Sweden and Belgium.

    (Am I crazy that I am starting to think about things like this, I wonder?)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Needless to say, I found your account of the hot smoking abaya fascinating, Miss Sabra!

    I got carried away imagining the whole drama in my head and forgot to tell you! Ha-ha.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Look around you, Dinah. It is already very, very much happening. And, for the next [at least!] four years it is only going to get much, much worse. Mark my words.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Wow, oppression and humor intermixing. I really enjoyed reading this post. I appreciate your style of writing, it was a very well written series of observations complete with stinging humor mixed in. Very nice. What is your background; were you a professional writer in the States - or is this a natural gift? Let us all know if you decide to compile your 'Sandbox' blogs into a book.

    *You Go, Saudi Girls!* Things must be slowly changing there. I never saw women attired like that while in Dammam (97 & 98).

    One personal observation comes to mind. During a visit to a grocery store in Al-Khobar, a 'local' lad - about six years old - became separated from his mother. He frantically walked an aisle and would great each lady that he encountered - covered from head-to-toe, of course - and point at them while calling out "Mamma.?!"


    To the distressed little boy, all of the women in the store looked just like his mother!

    It took him over a dozen attempts before he found his mom. Poor kid.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Thanks for the so kind compliments, StDiesel. Nope - not a writer in States - well, I guess, kind of I was, I wrote a lot of letters and motions and briefs [as a paralegal]. My life here will have to be compiled into a book. [Chapter 1 is done!]

    Oh, I can imagine the horror for that little boy, "Are you my mother?" We jokingly tell women apart from the pocketbooks.

    ReplyDelete

 
Site Meter