Sunday, October 12, 2008

Locally...

This whole thing is almost too much to comprehend... That a couple was chased down by the Commission for the Promotion of Virtue and Prevention of Vice because of someone's assumption that they were together and they were not married is enough to make you shake your head. Add to that that they were accused of "switching" the woman for the real wife - or something like that - and it just becomes bizarre. The couple involved is not backing down and they are taking their case to the governor's office. I don't know what will be accomplished by their doing so, but that they are not letting themselves be intimidated by an authoritative body is a good thing. Perhaps they might just be able to bring about some much needed change.

The moral of this story is pay your debts... For goodness sake, really, was it necessary to go to such lengths to get $536? "A relative of a groom threatened to walk out of the [wedding] ceremony if he didn't settle a SR2,000 debt owed by his father." Apparently he "even showed up with the paperwork proving the father's debt." Whatever. "The groom tried to quietly assure him that they could discuss the issue later, but the man would not budge and even threatened to leave right then and there." And the point of that would be? If it would have been me, I'd have said, "buh-bye." It would have been one less diner to pay for at the reception, right?

Five young "African" theft suspects have been arrested. "The group was apprehended after the ringleader was nabbed in an ambush, and subsequently confessed and gave police details of his colleagues."

"An Indian national has swindled hundreds of thousand of riyals out of a number of compatriots... and probably fled..." The report says he had a "chit-fund" going. I had to go to Wikipedia to find out what a "chit-fund" was.

This is just sad. A young woman, along with her sister, claimed to have been "verbally, physically and sexually abused" by their family and sought refuge at a shelter. Officials examined the two girls and spoke to their family and determined "that there were no signs of abuse whatsoever." Then, one of the young women, tried to commit suicide after being given the choice of going back to her home or going to jail. Why? Because "the shelter staff told her that because she was not a Saudi citizen, she should not have been allowed to remain at the center for more than 15 days." Uh-huh. Really.

8 comments:

  1. that last story is just so sad. For the girl to try and commit suicide must say something. I wonder what they are going to do with the two girls now?

    Gill

    ReplyDelete
  2. This is hearbreaking. Since I began reading some of you posts Sabra I worry about you some. Have there been times where anyone has said anything about your posts? r are you still anonymous?

    ReplyDelete
  3. Gill - It sickens me. Can you imagine in ANY other country being told, "We will not help you because you are ______ [insert nationality]." No. It would NOT happen.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Keith - After I first started this blog, I had some problems with someone that had nothing but bad things to say - someone who lived close by. I moderated comments and took every picture off. I wasn't savvy enough to have Sitemeter to get IP's. I've not had issues since - and I have Sitemeter, now. I like to think I am pretty anonymous, but the authorities know I am here, and a few others, "locally" as well. I do try, for the most part, most of the time, to avoid topics which I know could be inflammatory. Your concern is MUCH appreciated!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Don't panic Keith, she's one tough cookie, and if there's a problem, there will be an irate British/Canadian woman trotting over to sort them out.......

    Gill

    ReplyDelete
  6. I had the same thoughts as Keith but am also wondering if you feel safe as an American and a woman? How long do you expect to be there?

    I feel compelled to say be ever careful...

    Shannon
    Seattle

    ReplyDelete
  7. Shannon, but for a few occasional minor incidents - I have not felt unsafe. As a woman, I would not stick out if I would cover my head and face. I don't and won't. It is more than enough that I must don a full-length black, shapeless gown before I leave the walls of our compound. We will be here at least another 4 1/2 years - perhaps 9 1/2 - but then, things could change, and we could be home much sooner than that. We take it one day at a time. And as far as being careful? I would be foolish not to be. I will continue to be always vigilant for as long as I am here.

    ReplyDelete
  8. like the wiki says most of the times chit fund turns into a cheat fund..

    well chit funds are a boon to poor and rich alike...poor people when there monthly salaries are not even enough to meet both ends, what they will do when they are confronted with major expenses..say like festival, even buying a TV , paying school fees etc...so chit funds are the mode of getting loan for them..since organised sector will not give loan to them...

    ReplyDelete

 
Site Meter