Tuesday, June 24, 2008

Okay. I'll Play. But the game will be over... And I lose.

L_Oman has tagged me... In her blog, today, she asks, "What the heck is a 'meme' anyways?" I had to look it up. The "Urban Dictionary" is way cool and says that a meme is:

1: an idea, belief or belief system, or pattern of behavior that spreads throughout a culture either vertically by cultural inheritance (as by parents to children) or horizontally by cultural acquisition (as by peers, information media, and entertainment media)

2: a pervasive thought or thought pattern that replicates itself via cultural means; a parasitic code, a virus of the mind especially contagious to children and the impressionable

3: the fundamental unit of information, analogous to the
gene in emerging evolutionary theory of culture
- meme pool (n.) : all memes of a culture or individual
- memetic (adj.) : relating to memes
- memetics (n.) : the study of memes

4: in
blogspeak, an idea that is spread from blog to blog

5: an internet information generator, especially of random or contentless information

I'll go with meaning number 5...

Here are the rules for this meme:

List seven songs you are into right now. No matter what the genre, whether they have words, or even if they're not any good, but they must be songs you're really enjoying now, shaping your spring/summer. Post these instructions in your blog along with your seven songs. Then tag seven other people to see what they're listening to.

My mind is blank. Seven songs? Nope. Can't do it. Can come up with five, though:

First, Trace Adkins "I Got My Game On." Hot damn, if this man doesn't absolutely have one of the sexiest voices in the entire world!!! The kind of voice that makes you want do things that I can't even type here because my Mother reads this blog.

Second, Duffy's "Mercy."

Third - an oldie. Not a "golden oldie," but oldie nonetheless. ["Golden oldies" give me anxiety attacks. Can't stand that genre!] I heard it yesterday for the first time in a while in the truck on the way home from getting my MRI done... My Kid introduced me to TLC many years ago. He was absolutely in love with one of the women but I can't recall which one - Lefty or Left Eye, maybe? The song is "Waterfalls." I think it is the only song they ever sang that I liked.

And finally, the fourth and fifth song, both done by the same train wreck. Truly I feel bad for this woman. If she doesn't get some help, serious help, soon, we will be reading her obituary in the near future. I play Amy Winehouse's "Back to Black" CD a lot and like "You Know I'm No Good," and "Rehab". We have our own version of Rehab that we sing: They tried to make me go to Riyadh, I said no, no, no...

It was pretty funny when, at a party some months ago, "Rehab" was playing a couple of flight attendants belted out "They tried to make us go to Riyadh, we said no, no, no..." and it kinda stuck... Yeah. Guess it was one of those things where you really had to be there.

And that's all I can come up with. Cannot come up with a sixth or seventh... And I can't tag seven people either. L_Oman assumes that I have seven friends in the blogosphere. I don't. So sad.

Game over.

I lose.

12 comments:

  1. "They tried to make me go to Riyadh, I said no, no, no..."

    No. Really. That IS funny!

    Hey. I'm your friend. But I appreciate the fact that you didn't tag me with a meme. ;)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks, Freddie. Including you, I've got three [friends], now!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm your friend too but my blog is on Livejournal.

    ReplyDelete
  4. And there is that fist-bumping instead of hand-shaking meme that i am finding annoying, especially since Michelle and Barry did it in public. I tried listing seven songs but kept getting distracted by my own singing... give me your arms for just a moment, and my imagination will make that moment last; oh give me what only you can give: a kiss to build a dream on...

    ReplyDelete
  5. Well, I'm up to four friends! Thanks Kathleen!!! Feel free to take the meme and list your seven songs...

    ReplyDelete
  6. Thought "fist-bumping" was something athletes did, Vermindust. Never saw it done - never - in the political arena - until Barry and Michelle did it - but in a way, politics are much like sports if you think about it.

    I will not have to worry about being distracted by my own singing - can't carry a tune in a bucket!

    ReplyDelete
  7. teee heee! You are so not a loser, Sabra!

    I now have the 'no, no, no' stuck in my head and if I start singing it in a low throaty voice, I am sure these people in the office will be convinced I've lost it.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Sing it, L_Oman! Sing it!!! Get it out of your system.

    If the "no, no, no" is too much and not appropriate for the office - then just quietly hum "Supercalifragilisticexpialidocious" all morning... Enjoy your day at work. If it makes you feel any better, I'm headed out to "work," too!

    ReplyDelete
  9. There is this u tube video, tried to make me go to jihad:
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=t-rxJWoG-4I

    haha,you'll love it.

    You'll also adore "Hey there, Khalilah:
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hMqTKA8BxvE

    I hope those cheer you up :)

    ReplyDelete
  10. by the way, I don't blog anymore, but I'm definitely a fan.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Enamorada - Had not seen Tried to Make Me Go to Jihad! It was very well done. Then got lost on YouTube with these:

    http://es.youtube.com/watch?v=qEdsUeq6xoY&NR=1
    http://es.youtube.com/watch?v=z8E8ibNE4Ao&feature=related
    http://es.youtube.com/watch?v=SrXX81yZ-d4&feature=related

    One just leads to another...

    ReplyDelete
  12. Jihad Suicide Hotline! Hahahahah!!!

    How did you get to youtube in spanish?

    ReplyDelete

 
Site Meter